Monday, July 19, 2010

Mission Home April 26th thru June 16th 1975

This is a picture of Jeff infront of the mission home. The mission home then was across from the church office building.
April 24, 1975
Tonight I was set apart as a missionary… It was a great feeling! All my family was there, with Mitzie and Harry and Sherri. President Metcalf gave a real beautiful prayer that covered everything. It was real special to me. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this mission, but I know in my heart it is the thing I want to do. I feel I have a great work to do in Germany and I am really excited about going.
April 24, 1977
It was two years ago today that I was set apart as a missionary. How could I on this night 2 years ago of ever realized what was in store for me. This has been a beautiful learning experience for me. A most beautiful changing of ideals and motives. I thank the lord this night that I have had the wonderful opportunity. As I ponder the fact that I have now had this calling for two complete years I wonder what the next two will bring. I know that mission was a great stepping stone for the life that awaits me. I feel very humble to be at this point looking back. The more I learn and realize what it’s all about the more I realize that sooner or later that everything goes on the alter. This is my goal, to be able to give the lord everything. He owns me. I have really changed!!
April 26, 1975
Well, I’m going to put my entire mission home experience on this page. I’m in Germany now. I really didn’t get the chance or feel like writing in the home itself. I guess that is because it’s so difficult. I really appreciate the time I spent in the Salt Lake Mission Home. It was hard for me at times, it really was, but I learned so much about myself and about the work that I can’t explain it. It was hard for me because up until the day I went in I really wasn’t thinking about my mission as much as I should. My thoughts were more at home and when I walked in the door my life ended and started. It was quite a change in 5 days.
At first I was down. Saturday, April 26, 1975 was the hardest day of my life. I went clear down. But with the work they gave us and the challenges before me it wasn’t but a day before I was in pretty good spirits and on the work. After that I don’t think I ever did get homesick. Towards the end of the stay there with all the great speakers that we had I was really catching the spirit. I was growing.
When I climbed on the bus Wednesday night at 8:00 for the short trip to Provo a feeling of peace came over me that I had never felt before. It was a feeling of calmness, of accomplishment, of joy, of strength. I had taken the biggest step. I really love it too. When I reached Prove the CTM was so great. I was ready. I was excited and prepared for my life.
To me the Salt Lake Mission home turned a prospective Elder, into a missionary and I will be ever grateful for the good times and the hard times that I had there.

May 1, 1975
Today was my first day in the LTM. We didn’t go to many classes. Just one and I don’t think I learned anything. I just took everything in. This is a great place I can really tell.
We had a special meeting with Max Pineger the Mission President. It was really good and his spirit is strong. Bro. Harris also explained the rules and why we have them. We got our books. Learned schedules and generally prepared for tomorrow when we can start.
Tonight Brother Southam gave one of the best talks I have ever listened to. He talked about faith as it pertains to missionary work and cited some special experiences. He also talked on spirituality, dedication, and setting goals. Tomorrow in the temple I am going to set some goals that will last my entire mission. I am really excited.
The Zone Leader, Elder Ballard is one of the best guys I have ever known. A fine example of a leader. The kind of Elder I want to be.
May 2, 1975
Today we went to the temple for the first time. It was preparation day. We go every Friday. It was really a great experience. I set some goals for myself. I am really experiencing good feeling as I start to learn this language. Some of the goals I set are:
(1) To be fluent in German before I leave the LTM
(2) To memorize all the discussions.
(3) To seek out the spirituality I need to have the spirit with me at all times.
(4) To gain a better testimony.
(5) To remember my calling and act like a missionary always.
(6) To dedicate myself to the lord in all I do from here.
It is the best opportunity I have ever had in my life. I can’t describe the feelings I have for my calling.
Tonight I set some exercise goals. 25 pushups and 25 sit ups
I am also very tired after a long class in basic German.

May 3, 1975
Well today I believe I am more tired than I have ever been in my whole life. I exercised a little too hard yesterday, consequently I am very tired. We worked hard today to catch up. I am really struggling. It’s a long hard road but with faith I will triumph.
I was really discouraged today for a while, so I said a little prayer. Right after I did I remembered Bishiop Webb’s little story about the two missionaries and satins elf. I perked up easily. Also Bruder Smith gave us a good talk this evening. It really helped. I know my prayer was doubly answered.
Tonight Brother Southam asked me to be the District Leader for my Hanover District. I accepted gratefully but am a little worried about my German. Most of the other people have had it and I feel a little behind so I must work twice as hard to catch up. I think this is a special challenge and opportunity the lord has given me to better reach my goals.
We are fasting today and tomorrow and I am going to pray for special help in filling my calling. The District Leader has to lead the way and I must be able to do so, I am very happy though.
May 4, 1975
Today I was called as the Hanover District Leader. It was a humbling experience. I spent most of the day in meetings and personal interviews. It was great! I really feel strong about our District. We had a real special meeting tonight. A family home evening where we all told a little about ourselves, and then bore our testimonies. It was so spiritual.
I just wanted to write down that my first decision as a leader was to call a language leader. I prayed about it and know that Bruder Nichols was called by me, by the power of inspiration. It was a special testimony to me. Everything falls into place if you live right. It really impressed me.

May 5, 1975
Today I was pure work. We were in class all day long and I got tired of just sitting. These folding chairs are terrible. I am really having trouble with the language, It’s coming but I really have to struggle. Brother Hudson one of my companions is really having trouble. I hope we can help him. I am not in a very good position to help but my other companion Brother Reichman is. He’s pretty good.
Today I got a great letter from mom. Things are going great at home I guess. It made me a little sad but nothing serious. It’s good to think about home a little sometimes. I am working hard but I need to work a lot harder. There just doesn’t seem like there is enough time to study. Oh well I am working hard.
Exercise Report: Push-ups: 25, Sit ups: 25, Bar Dips: 10 Weight: 190
May 6, 1975
Time flies when you work it to death. The days are just clicking by. I am really working hard but I do think I could work harder. Today I got these things from Talbots. I got a care package and a letter from Mitzie and a letter from her mom. They were all sent on different dates but all came today. Mitzie is real neat. I really love her but I kind of feel bad that she will probably sit home for two years. If she doesn’t I don’t know what I’ll do, though. I think she is doing a great job of keeping busy. Work, Sunday school class, the blab, her quilts. I think she is great to have so much happening and so much interest in me. I really love her.
We are having a little (a lot) of trouble with the language. I am working hard but need to work harder. I want also to help my companion, Bruder Hudson as much as I can. Things are great!
May 7, 1975
Today I didn’t feel real good about the work I was doing. I know I can do more. Mr. Cobb gave a real good talk on work. He said we have to do all we can before the lord will bless us. We also have to realize that we are nothing compared to the lord. Our willingness to serve is shown by the work that we do and therefore he will bless us accordingly.
I am recommitting myself tonight to work harder. Also I am going to pray to have good dreams. Last night I had a real distracting dream. I need to be closer to the spirit so I am going to rededicate myself and work as hard as I can. Things are great, but I need to be more diligent.
Tonight we can speak English for the last time. Tomorrow we can speak only Deutch for the rest of the time here. I am committing myself to live the language. Marcia sent me a good letter today.
May 8, 1975
Today was a good day. I really understood what was going on in class. Things are starting to come for me. Tomorrow is P-day, great. I got a real good letter from Mitzie today. Sounds like things are going good for her. We had the scripture tests today. I got 100%. The was only a couple who did. Next week I am going to try again.
Tomorrow I want to ge ta lot done. I am going to buy me a notebook and put a lot of words in it. It will be a big job but I need to do it.
May 9, 1975
Today was diversion day Friday. It seemed like I couldn’t get anything done. All I did was write letters today and wash. Next week we are going to need to get haircuts and a bunch of stuff and so we are going to have to plan better. I had a real gut experience today at the Temple The spirit was real strong and I really felt uplifted. I am learning more and more each day how to become closer to the lord.
I got a big package of cookies and cinnamon rolls today but I don’t really know who from. We had a big party anyway. Saturday and Sunday I want to call mom for Mothers Day. They are going to let us for this occasion. The work is coming good. Hard but good.
May 10, 1975
Well I have been in the field for two weeks and boy the time has gone by. Let’s see only 102 more weeks- laugh! I have really worked hard today, but there were times when I could of used my time a little better. I am really worried about a few things. First, I have to give a talk in zone meeting next Saturday. I am really worried about that, but I know I can do it. I have set myself a goal to be a great speaker and this is one more step towards it. Second, my District responsibilities I hope I can lead these good people the way they should be lead. Third, my companion Bruder Hudson is really discouraged about something. I hope tomorrow in our companion interviews we can get it out. I think he is a great guy and I really want to help him if I can. Fourth, I am going to call my family tomorrow. I hope it doesn’t upset me to much. These are just my concerns but I need time to work them out. Time is one thing we don’t have a whole lot of here. I will have to make every minute count.
I really can feel the spirit here. Bruder Southam gave another really good talk on faith. He is such a great guy. I went in and talked with him about my District problems tonight. He knows all the angles and can really inspire you. He really inspires all of us here.
May 11, 1975
I really feel the spirit again today. I called mom this morning and had a real good talk with her and the family. It was real nice to talk to all of them. I was so impressed by our meeting today. The spirit was burning in me during Sacrament meeting. I just can’t explain the feeling that I feel here. All the teachers and Brother Southam are so spiritual. The thing I am impressed the most with is their faith promoting stories. I am beginning to realize the true meaning of faith.
Another thing I am beginning to realize the true meaning of my calling. Te be a preaching teaching and baptizing missionary and nothing else.
Baptizing: That is the key. I am mentally preparing, spiritually and intellectually preparing myself for this.
May 12, 1975
Well another very hard day has slipped by. Today I felt like I worked every minute I had. I studied until 10:15 then read 15 pages of the Book of Mormon between dinner and zone meeting. Tonight I have been working on my talk. It is coming along but I am quite nervous because it is only 5 days away. I have it written in English it’s the German that will be tough.
Today we had a very special experience in class. We learned the grammar to beat our testimonies and so we all did in German. It was real special but the best past was Bruder Parkin. He broke down and told us he had never born his testimony before. He wasn’t sure about anything but said he was trying. I know it will come for him. He lacks a little self confidence but he is a great Elder and he is really going to make a fine missionary.
It was a neat experience for all of us and I think now we can help him grow!
May 13, 1975
Today I put in an extra amount of work. I am trying to get my talk ad I can’t seem to get it the way I want it. I can’t express myself in Deutch. I need more work but I know I have the faith and I know I can do a good job.
Today in devotional we heard Ivan J. Barrett. He was a great speaker talking on the Eternal Mission of Joseph Smith. It was a great talk and I had the “tingles” most of the time.
This afternoon Dennis came over to see me. He leaves for Argentina in the morning. It will be the last time I see him for a couple of years. He is a great kid and we had a good talk on the good old days. It is neat that all my buddies are leaving the missions. We have a lof of missionaries here from our stake. Dan McArthur left Saturday. I wrote him, and he better write back.
I received a package from Mitzie today. I was full of candy which I really don’t need.
May 14. 1975
A busy day I worked on my talk most of the day. The new Missionaries came tonight it was cool. We had pizza for our two week anniversary.
May 15, 1975
Another Busy Day! Brother Southam gave a good talk tonight. He told a story of how he was blessed with the gift of tongues, a good faith promoting story.
May16, 1975
Today was preparation day. We really got a lot done today. I really feel good about today. We got haircuts, wrote all of our letters, and went bowling besides. A great many tasks did I today! ( A great German Sentence)
Tonight Brother Hanson told me that I didn’t have to give my talk tomorrow. After all that work and I didn’t have to give it. Oh well I will keep it for when I get to Germany.
Tomorrow I am going to really work hard so I can better get the spirit and the Deutch. I have really worked hard this week but I can work more. Today I went to the Temple. It was a great experience.

May 17, 1975
I really worked hard today. In Grammer I really understand what is happening. When I get tot Germany I think even if I don’t know much I will be able to learn it because I have a real solid foundation. Things are going well for me. I was reading today the book of Enos. I have really felt close to the spirit the last couple of weeks. Well it’s been 3 weeks today since I have been in the field. Well anyways I was reading where Enos was forgiven of his sins by his faithfulness. I really feel that the sins I have had up to now are slowly being cleansed from me. It is a great feeling to know you are in the right work and to have the spirit with you. If you live righteously you show your faith and the lord will bless you accordingly. I know I can feel it in my life.
Last night Bruder Hudson and I had a good talk. I realized he had a problem and after a little talk I helped him see what he must do to get rid of it. I really thing the world of both of my companions, and I feel I have a good relationship with each of them. I also think my District is the greatest.
We had a good culture class tonight. Two films and a speech by Bruder Ninert in Nazi get up.

May 18, 1975
Today will be without a doubt the most important day of my stay. Today in the Mission conference they changed the whole organization of all the LTM’s. We use to have a zone council and zone leaders etc. They changed in to a branch organization with a branch president now. All they have is an executive secretary that is the link. He does all the zone leader used to do plus a lot more. He takes care of assignments, meetings, everything. Well last night President Slover assigned me to be the Branch Executive Secretary. I can’t even began to know all that needs to be done at this point, but I realize how things are done this first time will really influence the zone. President Slover really has no idea of how things are done so I must do the best job I can to make things right.
There are two branches in the German zone. Elder Reeves is the other Exec Secretary. He is a couple weeks than I which is good. We will both be taking care of the zone as a double I guess. He is a great guy and I am glad to work with him. The worst thing about doing this is my companionship. Because I had to go to room 44 and had 2 companions, I had to be a double. So they took Bruder Hudson and formed a triple companionship with bruder Croft and Bruder Howard. There is going to be some room changes tomorrow. I am no longer going to the Hanover District Leaders. They chose my companion Bruder Reichman for the job. I think it will do him a lot of good. He is a good man, but will get better as he appreciates all the problems he must assume as D.L. I really feel nervous and a little apprehensive about this new calling. I know I am going to need the spirit of the lord with me at all times to do this calling.

May 19, 1975
Today was a long day. It was bad because I really wasn’t very prepared for my classes. It was hard for me to concentrate today also. I think when you are put in positions of leadership the devil works harder on you. I need to have all the help I can get from the lord. I really need to dedicate myself to the work and I need to use every spare inch of my time. It will be a challenge to see if I can organize my time, so I can learn all I must and still get my Exec. Job done.
Today we had several ideas. Brother Reeves and I figured several good approaches on the things we must do. There are a lot of things that have to be done right the first time. We will need all the help from the lord we can. Tomorrow four districts are flying to Germany. It has been really exciting around here. They have had parties and special meetings all these last couple of days. They work right up to the “last minute” Though it is great to see the Elders and Sisters leave. I am feeling ready myself. I have to much to learn first.
I guess it will be five weeks from today when we will be getting ready to fly. I hope we can learn all were suppose to in that much time. I really have a challenge in front of me. The next five weeks will make me the missionary I am going to be. It is really hard to break up our companionship but tomorrow we have to move to room 44. A new life for me.
May 20, 1975
A long day, the first day in the new zemmer. I am starting a big change. We moved this morning and I guess it is great. It is a lot smaller room than I am used to. Ours was so big and this one is so small. There was a lot of things that need to be done. This next week I hope we can work things out pretty good. It’s going to take some faith and help from the lord. This new deal is inspired so I know it will work.
May 21, 1975
Today was a great day. We got a lot done but we had some mix ups. Bruder reeves the other Exec. Secretary is a great elder. However he needs to be more alert and a little bit more prepared. I want our relationship to be a great one. I hink from this point on we will have a great relationship. T
Tonight we had a great meeting with both President Sloven and President Robinson. We got quit a lot done but the most important thing is we got out zone meeting back. Only now we call it branch meetings. It means more work for me but I think after this week things will go smoothly. Tomorrow we will pass the word and things will start rolling again.
After our meeting, I had my personal interview with President Sloven. I got a few things out that have kind of been bothering me. It really feels good to talk to a man like President Sloven. I really think a lot of him and I know we will have a great relationship. Well everything is fine for me, other than the fact that I am in charge of Branch meeting Friday. I talk in church Sunday, and I have a hundred meetings in between time. I will need the lord’s help but I know I can do it with his help.
The rest of the week I am going to work on my testimony, Friday in the Temple.
May 22, 1975
Today I want to write one thing. And that concerns by beautiful testimony. Tonight I finished the Book of Mormon. All the things that Brether Southam and the others have told me about prayers especially prayers of faith. Well it really struck me as I read Moroni 7. I was alone in my classroom and I finished the Book of Mormon. So I locked the door and got down on my knees. I prayed out loud to the lord. I prayed for a while and nothing came so I started asking of the lord to forgive my weaknesses and praising him for his goodness and mercy. Suddenly a burning sensation went through my entire body. I was blessed by a manifestation of the spirit. The Holy Ghost bore witness to me that these things were true. I can truly say that I know that this church is true. I know it is by the power of the Holy Ghost. It is the greatest thing to be in the service of the lord, and to live close to him.
May 25, 1975
Today was spent in meetings. I spent the morning with President Slover preparing for Sunday School and for Priesthood. We got a lot done and I feel ready for next week. Today I gave my talk in Sacrament meeting. I felt the spirit with me and I felt I did okay. Things go good for you when the lord is with you.
Tomorrow we change companions. I will be moving in with Bruder Nichols or he will be moving into my room. It will be a good experience although a big challenge at first. I will have to really work hard and see if I can help him I need a lot of work myself and he will be helping me.
Today Brother Southam talked in church and also Priesthood. He told us some very important idea on discouragement. He said when you let yourself get discouraged you are lifting yourself up in pride. I really believe that. He said that we must not let ourselves get discouraged because bu supposedly suffering we are denying the atonement. I thought it was a very good idea and I know it will help me. He also said when we have trouble and tribulation to stick it out because there was a blessing at the end. A very good idea.
May 26, 1975
Yesterday was my first day with Bruder Nichols. He is a great Elder, and I think we are going to have a great relationship. The discussions are very difficult for all of us, but I think with the lords help we can do them.
May 27, 1975
Tonight was another special experience for me. I worked hard all day on the I discussion. We were supposed to pass it off today. I was really depressed this evening and so we had a District prayer. I gave it and I really felt it was some me but mostly the lord. I really have learned to love the lord. Tonight I felt my companion and I just couldn’t pass it and was having terrible feelings. Now with a little strength from the lord I know we can. We have a lot more work, but we have help now.
The biggest problem I had was not loving my companion enough. He just wasn’t getting it and I felt like I needed to keep going. Now I know that is not the way and I am going to help him get it whether I do or not. The lord will bless me and we will both get it. I love the gospel and Jesus Christ.
June 3.1975
I keep missing days in this journal because I am so busy. Monday we started C discussion. Sunday night Sister Krufmann passed us off on it, but I don’t think we did good. It was really poor in fact. Sunday evening we went to a BYU fireside where we heard Pres. Tanner speak.
This week we get to go to the NCAA track meet on Saturday. Today Elder Nichols and I went to the Marriot Center to get tickets. It rained on us but I got all the tickets for my branch.
I have a communication problem with Elder Revves the other Branch Secretary but I guess we do okay. Yesterday we mixed up a few things and today we did all the song books with Brother. Southam.
We have started the C discussion It is very difficult because of a lot of new words but I’ll get it I want to really have this one done well.
Uncle Brent wrote be a letter yesterday. They are coming by this way and want to see me. I am going to have to write them a negative answer.
Everything is fine with my companionship but Elder Nichols is sometimes hard to understand. I need to work on it.

June 6, 1975
Well it seems like I miss every two or there days, but I have a moment now so I’ll write a bit. My companion and I worked real hard and were able to pass off the C-1 discussion by Thursday night. That has make my whole weekend great. It is really great when you work so hard and finally accomplish a goal. It was quite difficult for my companion especially, but we were able to do it.
Today we went to the Marriot Center and then the football stadium trying to get a couple of tickets for my teacher. We finally got them. We are all going to the Track Meet tomorrow. I really can’t believe they are letting us go but they are so it will be real great. Today we were able to get a haircut, go bowling, and listen to “Saturday’s Warriors.” It was a good day. I really enjoyed the music, even though I haven’t seen the play or anything.
Things are great. I really enjoy being in the service of the lord. I know this is where I should be and I feel his spirit with me.

June 9, 1975
Today for the last day for Elder Reves. I can’t believe I have only two weeks left from tonight. Elder Reves made it okay I guess. The new Executive Secretary is the new missionary. He is four weeks younger than me so he must really be scared. I know I was and I was a couple of weeks older when I came into the job. I think he is a good Elder though.

June 15, 1975
It’s been a week since I wrote last, almost. In this last week a lot has happened. I need to take more time to write the things down, I know I will regret it. This last week we had 38 new missionaries come into the LTM, our branches. I felt, as the leader responsible, that they have had a pretty good welcome and orientation and are coming along fine. It seems like there isn’t quite the same spirit that I felt but I believe it’s there. I believe these new ones feel the same thing I did when I first came into the LTM.
I want to write some of the things I feel today. Today I had a good long talk with Brother Siebhart. He is really a great man and concerned so much about everything. He asked me to tell him a little about myself, mainly why I was so friendly. Well that was quiet a compliment to me and I guess hard to talk at first. I told him about my family and the store and everything, I really feel that the opportunities I have had in life can’t be realized. I am so lucky to be who I am. I realize where much is given much is expected and I don’t know if I can ever pay the debt I owe to the lord. I will give it my all- my mission and my life and all.
I am really excited about this mission. I am learning so much about the ways of the lord and the gospel. I feel so string about the gospel especially eternal families. I really want to share my feelings with the people of Germany.

June 16, 1975
Tonight I had a talk with President Slover. I have had feelings for awhile now. I read these scriptures about “I the lord cannot look upon sin in the least degree of allowance.” And it gets me thinking. Well I repented of a few problems in the Mission Home and I know the power of repentance. But what about all the many things you do in your life- all the stories, swearing, unclean thoughts etc… I have been wondering, I want so much to be clean before the lord that I didn’t know about the other things.
Well I talked it over with Pres. Slover and we had a good talk. He says that every man has his troubles and sins and unless it is of the magnitude that should be brought before your president or is is damaging to the church it is the kind of sin you should work on, repent on, and then have faith in the lord that he will forgive you. Well I feel better. The things that I have done in the past are behind me. I did talk over a few with the President and vocalized them. I really feel that the lord will forgive me of my sins by my willingness and faithfulness from this day on. I am most grateful that I have lived the kind of life that I wasn’t too far off the path. My life has been pretty good and I am thankful for the people that have influenced me for such.