Wednesday, July 21, 2010

April 18 1976- May 1976 Elder Johnson


April 18, 1976
Easter Sunday! What a special day. We went to Sunday School this morning and it was a perfect day. The Sun was shining, the birds were singing, it was a very real Easter morning. I could really feel the Spirit of the Lord. We had a short special program and I had a part to read. It talked about the Resurrection of Christ. It went over really well. The only thing we lacked in Sunday School this morning was investigators. We should have had the Schopp family but they never made it.
I gave a talk today in Church. It was a special talk. I started way last Friday to write a real special talk but I just couldn’t get much done. I wrote an outline for a talk and was going to write it Saturday and be all ready Sunday. Well as things turned out I didn’t find any time Saturday so early this morning I got up and started to write it. It didn’t work. My outline was useless. My whole idea had changed. The mood had changed and I knew I had to write something better than what I had. Soon I had an outline on the Personality of Christ. Talking about things from my heart. I read 3 Nephi 17 and asked then what kind of a God is it that weeps for his children. I read out of Enoch and explained the Lords love for us. I then left a challenge to really find the Lord through prayers. To understand through the Spirit the true and soul cleansing and saving meanings of the Atonement and the Resurrection. It was a very special talk. Special to give and special, I hope to those that heard it. If there was anyone from the 15 people that I talked to yesterday that learned something and will consequently try harder to communicate with our Lord because of my talk, I would have been grateful for the opportunity.
It was a very special Easter for me. I felt the Spirit of the Lord lead me and guide me and I am very thankful for his help.
April 19, 1976
We had a good day today but we really didn’t get that much done. We had a little bad luck last week and I want to talk a little about it. It is namely so, Elder Julander my District Leader got a “Dear John”. We wouldn’t believe it. I felt so bad for him. It came Saturday and it was quite a shock. He was planning to marry that little girl. She sounded like a great girl too. It really blew his mind. The rest of us have been down a little also. Yesterday we didn’t get much work done and today in the afternoon all four of us took off to look up a few referrals that the other Brethren had. We rode to Sande then to Goedens to see an old Castle that was there and then on to Shortens. It was quite a bike ride. We left about 3:00 and got home about 8:00. It was a fun trip. We did look up the referrals but we also kind of got away from the work a little. We found an old Windmill and saw the whole thing. Inside and out. All the gears and all. It was really great. It was long bike ride an old “Seadog” but I made it.
I feel real bad for Brother Julander. I think about my own situation and wonder how it would be if Mitzie wrote me off. They say they can usually make a year but the second year is the hardest. I guess I could handle it but I really can’t imagine it. I feel really bad for Elder Julander He had been going with Ruth for 2 or 3 years and was going home in July. After 21 months he got written off. That is really bad. I can’t believe it but one week from today I hump. That means I’m half done with this wonderful experience. Where has the time gone. I really feel good about my work for this last year but there are still so many things I want to do. So many great experiences to be had. I pray to the Lord for his help.
April 20, 1976
A year ago today it was Sunday and I gave my farewell address in church. A year has passed since that day. I really can’t believe it. Time is steadily rolling on. I remember like yesterday how it was in that meeting. My Dad talked. That was truly a special treat to hear him there and speaking in that meeting. I want more than anything else to go back and help him become active in the Church and receive the permission to take my Mother to the Temple. That is really a dream and a goal for me. I hope and pray that the Lord will bless our family with such a blessing.
Today was a good day. We had an appointment with Michael Hinrichs at 11:00 and then also at 2:30 but they both fell out. The rest of the day was spent with call backs and meeting people. We taught a good discussion with Herr and Frau Jech but they said they would have to think about things. I really felt good about that, his attitude was real honest anyway and I really believe him when he said he’d study the B.M.
Lately my feelings have been really mixed up in a lot of areas. I feel like there is something lacking in the work for me. I know Elder Julander’s Dear John didn’t help any of us, but there is a bigger problem. It’s mainly the fact that I feel that we should be seeing some success but we haven’t paid the price yet. My goals have been just barely missed for quite a while now. I never do quite reach them. I need to develop more faith and realize the importance of my calling. I feel sometimes I could do better in just about every area of my life right now. It’s a real battle but I want to win. I feel like I’m a good Missionary but knowing myself I know I have big areas to improve in. I need to love my companion better. Study harder, Work more on the language and discussion. All these things and more faith will help me reach my goals. I pray for the Lords help.
April 21, 1976
Today was a great day, we worked pretty hard and had a couple of good discussions. We taught our Family Schroeder again. It was a very special experience. They are so special. We gave them a “D” discussion and at the end of D-4 we asked them what they thought of being able to live eternally together. The Spirit was so special. She looked at me and couldn’t answer the question but felt something she had never felt. She did ask me if I could ever find a girl to reach eternity with- and I answered that I possibly already had. It was really special. They are young, married and have everything going for them. I pray that they can grasp these concepts. I really love them. I want to help them so bad. The same goes for Sister Hamann. She is so great, I really love her and know how the church needs her. The possibilities of all these things are endless. It depends on me, to work hard and ask the Lord for his blessings. He’ll bless us if we do what he says.
April 22, 1976
The Zone Leaders stayed here last night and today and also tonight. It was great talking with Elder Olsen and Kent. A couple of fine Elders. I really think the world of them. Elder Olsen, Timothy Olsen from California, and I really get along. We really understand each other. His conversion story is really something. He investigated the Church but it was after an experience meeting the Prophet Harold B. Lee that he really felt the Spirit. What a special Elder. He told me something that really struck home. I asked him how he finally got Sister Kaiser in the church and he said- I prayed. Prayed my heart out. I really believe that this is that area I could feel was missing. My prayers are not as good as they should be. I need to ask harder, I need to pour my heart out to the Lord because I know he will bless us if we are sincere enough and want it bad enough. An area that I need to work on.
We had a great day. Met several people and had a discussion with Fran Goss and her daughter. A good day. I learned a lot today.
April 23, 1976
Well the Zone Leaders left this morning. I was going to get so much done and it seemed as if the time just slipped through my fingers. I only got 2 letters written and I really don’t know what else done. Tonight we had a good discussion with Nieruch. He is a student and a good guy but has a hard time believing. It was really funny, and weird what happened. We weren’t very well together. Elder Johnson went off on some theme that I had no intention of going on and it really got to him. We shouldn’t have got there. Oh, well I know the Lord will bless us. In closing I asked him why he was doing it and he said he wanted to get a belief. I realize how important this work is when I hear people like him say that. It was a good day.
April 24, 1976
Yesterday we also taught Frau Gross and her daughter Sabrine a discussion. It was really bad. I couldn’t tell if they were interested or just liked the idea of two young Americans. Sabrine goes back to school tomorrow which is good. We went by today to say goodbye. She is going to write us a card. I don’t know where her interests lie, but I hope it is with the Church.
Today we had a great discussion with John and helped with his Monterey application a little. It was a great discussion and maybe the key to John’s problem. We talked about life and death a little and the powers of God and how he shares them with us. The procreation power. Well that caused John to ask us about Masturbation. Apparently he has a bad habit and asked us plainly for medical reasons, us being his friends, if it was harmful. I told him I didn’t know but then got the chance to explain the Church’s view and the laws of chastity. He understood our feelings and I hope it will cause him to change. We made him the promise that if he could overcome this habit-his self confidence would grow and he would be a giant step closer to that man he wants to be. This is one area that is really important when it comes to feeling or being capable of receiving the Spirit of the Lord. Like our discussions say we have to keep ourselves clean in order to be worthy of the Lord’s Spirit. This might have been the trouble with John before. It was a good talk, a good discussion but I don’t think John can understand it yet. I really want to help him.
Tonight was Sister Kaisers party. We were suppose to have Pizza and then talk over the Aufeustehung- Resurrection. It was great Pizza and a great treat that way but the discussion sort of fell through. Elder Julander did most of the talking. Its one of those things I wonder about. I didn’t feel very uplifted.
April 25, 1976
I can’t believe it . Tomorrow is the big day. One year on my Mission tomorrow. It seems like a lot longer sometimes and a lot shorter others. Time is going by. We had a good day today. No investigators in Church but it was still a good day. I blessed the Sacrament in Sacrament Meeting. It always thrills and scares me but I love to do it. Tonight we made some ZK’s and visited our great family Busenga. We made an appointment for a “D” discussion tomorrow. I can’t wait!
As I look at the big picture right now I realize a lot of things. This week I’m really going to work hard and start a new and better year. We had a great Companion Interview and set some good goals. I really want to lengthen my stride and push on to bigger things. I think of all the experience that I want to have in these 2 years and I realize although the first one has been great the next one will be better. And that’s easy to see. Now I am prepared to meet the challenge. I am still very weak, but the Lord is my strength. It’s a great life this Missionary life and I love every minute. I thank God for this past year.
April 26, 1976
It’s really hard to express my feelings on this special day in my life. Today my Mission is half done. On April 26, 1975 I walked into that faithful old home on North temple they all the Mission Home. I was quite upset that day. It was a very hard thing for me to do. I wanted to go on a Mission bad but it was really hard for me to leave my family, Mitzie, and all my other things. The Lord has really blessed me though and I realize the overall picture and his plan for us. One year ago today. This year has really whipped by. Where will I be one year from now? What does this next year hold in store for me. These are questions that I can’t answer but I realize if I work hard and stay close to the Lord only good can come out of it. On one hand this is really a tough and trying time- and on the other hand its very sheltered. No worry about jobs, school, cars, wife, etc. The best attitude and the one I try to have is enjoy today while preparing for tomorrow. Live in the present. As I think how fast the time has flown by this past year I realize that in the next 12 months it is going to go even faster. Sometimes that’s scary when I consider all I want to do here.
Judging this past year I would have to say it has been a year of my greatest improvement most of that coming though I think in the first few months. It has been a great year, a beautiful year with many wonderful experiences. I am so thankful for this past year and for the people I have met and gotten to know. A beautiful experience.
Now for this next year I feel pretty well prepared to find, reach, teach and share the Gospel with the German people. I feel like this next year will be the best year of my life so far. I stand now on the brink of an adventure and challenge. I know the Lord has called me to preach the Gospel and with the Spirit of Truth I stand excited and ready to be a noble warrior in his service. I am answering his call. I will succeed!
After one year from home I really appreciate and better realize the many wonderful blessings that home can mean. My family means more than anything else in the world to me. I feel so close to my parents especially my Mother for all the love and joy that I have felt during my growing up years. I thank the Lord so much for such a beautiful family for this earthly life- and I hope and pray that we can enjoy each others associations for the eternities. The Eternal bonds that tie our families together are the most precious things imaginable. I love this church and the Gospel and especially my Lord Jesus Christ who made this possible for me and my family. I really love and appreciate them.
My girlfriend, Mitzie, is still very true. This is really an area that I find hard to express or even understand. I really love her, and then on the other hand I realize her life and the things she encounters daily. She might any day meet someone and be gone. That’s the way I want it though. She has to be free to choose for herself. The same goes for me. I don’t know if when I get home she will be right for me. It’s a bridge we’ll both have to cross when it comes. But in the meantime I really lover her and appreciate the love and support she shows me. She has a place in my heart. A place that grows to fill me.
As I look at my Mission I want it to be a bright shining star of fulfillment even pushing me on to greater things. A time in my life that I can always look back on with satisfaction and feelings of accomplishment knowing the joy that comes from a job well done and a calling well fulfilled.
Jeffrey G. Rogers, Apr. 26, 1976
April 27, 1976
We had a good day today but several of our appointments fell out. After eating a pretty rotten lunch with Sister Curs we went to the Dentist. That was quite an experience. You go in and wait just a little than they check you out. But instead of making an appointment to come and fix you they do it on the spot. It was weird. I had a pain in my back upper left teeth. Well it turned out that I had a real deep big bad cavity. It was a lady Dentist. Kind of cool. She went right in after it. Shot, ½ drilling the whole wake. They really did a number on me. It was a big cavity between my teeth. She got it all fixed though and I’m glad she did before it got worse. Another couple of months and I would have really been in bad shape. It was quite an experience. There were about 5 assistants all girls and a lady Dentist. One helping her and one taking notes it was quite a deal. I have to go back too.
The rest of the day went pretty good but our appointment with Schroeder fell through. They are so good, I just want to help them so bad. It’s a great opportunity. We got a hamburger tonight for hump day celebration.
April 28, 1976
There come those days in every Missionaries life when he has a perfect day a beautiful positive experience. Today was such a day for me. It started out with an early run with John. For his birthday he wanted to go running with us. Today was the day. At 7:30 we left and met him for a 5 kilometer run out to the Dirch down and back again. I have never felt a better feeling of accomplishment than I did on that run for a long time. I could write a book of my feelings and inner strugglings as I forced my body on and on beyond its limit. I was out of shape but my mind would not let my body give up. The pain! I felt it ripping my bowels but I could not stop I dared not stop. I analyzed the feelings as I tilted my head back and ran on. It was a beautiful, gutoy experience. Elder Cline was ahead but John and I ran side by side ahead of Elders Johnson and Julander all the way back. My speed and stride was just a little faster than Johns- I pushed him- but it wasn’t my stride it was just the fact to keep striding that was hard. I set goals and when I reached one point I made another. I distracted my mind with positive thoughts and whenever I felt like quitting I just asked myself what I really wanted. Well anyway the last 100 yds I pulled away from John and came in #2 in a race I really never thought I could finish. It impressed John. I felt the feeling of accomplishment unlike I have ever felt before really in many ways because I knew how hard that race was for me. It was a beautiful start for another year of Missionary work. A special experience.
After we ate breakfast with John and got showered we visited Sister Heinz. I had a special inspiration yesterday to give Sister Heinz a blessing. The thought just came to my head so last night I asked the Lord if we should bless her. The answer to my prayers came as I prayed. Joseph Smith always gave blessings as did the Prophets of old. We are here to bless and preach and I knew that we are called to do that. My answer came. But I wanted to bless Sister Heinz that she would be taken. She has it so hard. As I gave her the blessing today I felt it in the Lords hands. I blessed her to health and strength and that she would be taken and I believe the Lord will bless her. God knows she has had a tough life. The Spirit was there as I blessed her. In the middle of the blessing I switched from blessing her to praying to the Lord to blessing her. It was the first blessing I have given. A sweet special Spirit of the Lord. I know the Lord will bless her. It was a testimony as we came up to her house. She had the flu and said she was allowed no visitors. She needed a blessing. I’m glad we gave her one. I can’t really express my feelings. I really lover her. She’s a nice old lady. God will bless her.
After making an appointment with a beautiful family we came home for lunch. Then it was off for a great afternoon. We made some ZK’s and then visited our best family Biisenga’s . We gave them a “D” discussion. What a beautiful experience. I love that family. She already believes on Joseph Smith. He is a very hard corn, very skeptic; but I know she will help him and they will believe. It was a very special discussion. After their discussion we called back on some people and then went to Schopps. There we taught Schopp and Sommers together. It wasn’t a very good discussion because when they get together they have too much fun. It was good though because I could see Sister Schopp asking some very good questions on repentance, and other important subjects. She is coming. He needs to come also.
It was a very good day. When I came home tonight I was dead. You have very good days most of the time but once in a while a beautiful day comes. Today was such a day for me. I thank the Lord.
April 29, 1976
Wow, after working our tails off yesterday we are really tired today. I had to pay a stupid excess electricity bill of 40 marks – what a rip off. It bothers me sometimes how I get stuck from all sides. This was the excess electricity we need in Rhein St. but most of it was need for Thanksgiving and Christmas with all their Turkey cooking parties. But I know E. Jackson is poor and I’ll shoulder it for him. It’s a good feeling.
Today wasn’t a very good day. Elder Johnson was on and we really didn’t get much accomplished. We tracted for about ½ hour and then he got tired. We did ZK’s and just dinked off. Tonight at G. F.V. nobody showed. A discouragement. I got out a magazine and read about ELIZA SNOW. I never knew much about her. She was sealed to Joseph Smith and married to Brigham Young. That bothers me a little for some reason. I’ll have to investigate further.
April 30, 1976
Today was preparation day. As usual we didn’t get too much prepared but we had a beautiful day. We had a great referral from Elder Galt from Hamburg in Voslapp. It is a very beautiful family and I can’t wait to go back up there Thursday. Should be a great experience. We had two great discussions tonight. First the Woltens family – we gave a D; then Schopps. We talked about the Book of Mormon and then we kneeled in prayer. It was fantastic experience. Herr Schopp looked so great kneeling there like he did. I really felt the Spirit of the Lord. The Gospel sure changes people. I remember the first time I met him he was negative that he just wouldn’t even hardly recognize us. It was a sorry scene. He has really come a long way.

May 1, 1976
Today was a big Holiday for the Germans. It was a pretty rotten day for me. Well, I’ll write later – my companion has a tape of his girlfriend on and I can’t write anything.
Well I’m back. It was a good day, sort of. We met a man this morning that made ships in bottles. It was pretty cool all the stuff he had. I had never seen really how they make ships in bottles but now I know.
We ate lunch at Sister Curs. She had potato salad and wurst. I really like that. Good old German wurst is something good. I really can’t believe Sister Curs though. We went back later to try and meter her Freundin but the lady never came. Sister Cuss couldn’t understand the meaning of a fast. That was for sure. It is really hard to see chosen people of the Lord not only not live or understand his commandments – but not even try too. It was bad.
Today Seadog broke down. We were saved by Bro. Folkerts who let us borrow one of his likes.
May 2, 1976
I was baptized 12 years ago today. I remember that day but all the happenings not very well. I know we went to the Service there was no one or I had no one there to baptize me. A nice old man by the name of Jesse Stubblefield was baptizing his granddaughter or someone there and he said he would be glad to baptize me. And so it was. I was baptized and it was a very big day in my life.
Now today 12 years later I have been fasting to show my diligence and faith to the Lord. I am setting a goal of a baptism this month.
That is a very righteous goal I believe and know in myself that the reasons behind it are the right ones. For the Lord’s glory and kingdom here in Wilhelmshaven. This goal mens a lot to me. The last time we set a goal like this Sister Prinz was baptized. I realize the things that I have to do and I want to make a covenant with the Lord to reach this goal. If my faith is strong enough he will bless us.
We had a very beautiful experience again tonight with Schopps. We went over about 5:00 and they ate about 6:00. We always sit there at the table with them – its so cool. Then after the kids got in bed we gave them an E discussion. It was fantastic. Elder Johnson couldn’t give anything past the last half of E-4 so I gave the rest of the discussion. It was really not very good on my side either but the Lord blessed us. We (I) gave them E-6,7. It was so neat, talking about individual responsibility for salvation and also responsibilities as members in the Church. I always used to think. Wow you can’t tell this to people, but I know why its there. To get them thinking about their possibilities as members of the Church. It sure went well for us. They were really touched. At the end we all kneeled and prayed. First me, then Sister Schopp, then Elder Johnson but Herr Schopp couldn’t. She prayed though. And it will come for him also. It was a very special experience. The Spirit was strong. I love that family.
May 3, 1976
Today was a great day. It started out poorly with a trip to the Doctor but we finally got going. We visited Fran Waliczek and her Grandson and family. Wow what a family. They said they were coming to church Sunday, I hope so. This afternoon we met another great guy. An old G.Q. a Herr Elihlinger. A theater director of some sort. Interested in theater and all. A good guy. This evening we had Abendbrot with the Feyen’s but before we did we met another great family. In “Let’s Tract and Talk”. I met these very attractive girls and had some good conversation with them. Well the other day I met one of them on the street and asked if we could come by. So we set the appointment up and went by today. After we got there Elka was the only one there but one by one the whole family came home. We showed “Meet the Mormons” and the father came in at the end of that. We had a good talk. He is very skeptical but wants to hear our story and figure out what makes us “TICK”. We go back Friday. I’m excited. A really great family.
As I look at our appointment book and at the list of good families we are now teaching I realize how blessed we are. Our goal is to baptize this month and I know the Lord will bless us if we challenge these people to baptism. It’s really something to ponder. For the first time in my Mission I am teaching 7 beautiful families and all of them should and can be baptized if they want the blessings bad enough.
To reach this goal I need to pay the price. I need to do everything right, live the rules, obey with exactness, employ virtuous thoughts, love my companion, challenge to baptism, and just everything in my power to meet the goal. I feel good. Real good about the work and the people we are teaching, I love this work. I love these people and I love the Lord. I want to bring people to him. It’s my life right now and I want more than anything else to bring people to him.
May 4, 1976
I think its important that you try to express yourself. I found or I should say I find that often may hard to do. The life of a Missionary is something that you have to experience; you can’t read about it anywhere because no one or at least I can’t get the feelings down on paper. It’s a hard job.
Tonight my heart is full. We taught 5 discussions today. I can’t believe how great things are going for us. The Lord is really blessing us. I made a list today of the families – baptizable families that we are teaching. There are 7 of them. That doesn’t include all the ones and single people and other contests. I have never seen it better in my Mission. We are really cooking.
We made a goal to baptize a family this month or at least to baptize. I know if we keep working hard that he will help us reach this goal. My heart is filled with gratitude at this time for all the people we are teaching and the blessings of the Lord at this time. I am very blessed. I pray now for some real success in this area now.
Today I sat down and planned out how I should use my time better especially in the mornings. I made it my goal back in Spandau to get up at 5:00 but after my stay in Lankwitz I never could get going. Well I want to try and get back on schedule again. Tomorrow faengts an. I need to work in so many areas. My German especially. I’ll get going.
We had a great day. Maybe I can quickly go through the day. We started out with a call back with Frau Holosecky which turned out to be a good discussion. Then we visited Frau Lukken and prayed with her. After lunch we showed Frau Schenke (Da sind die Mormonen). Then we visited Herr Wolters and Frau Busenga. She is so neat. We prayed with her. She is so great. I can’t wait to bring her into Church. She already has a testimony from many things. Her man is the problem. Tonight we visited Dr. Wande and the Hoffman family for discussions. It was a great day Just call backs and 5 discussions. A very beautiful day.
May 5, 1976
It is so hard to express my feelings. The last few days we have had so many beautiful experiences. We taught more people today and also had another experience with Schopps. First I want to explain the discussion we had with Fran Hamann. We went by and shot the breeze for the first 45 minutes which is terrible, we will never do that again. Then we finally got into the discussion. We gave her an E-disc. I can’t believe how good that E works for motivating people into accepting their responsibilities as children of God. To come to him. Well we had great discussion with her and then we gave her the Baptismal Challenge. She believes the Church is true but she has trouble with her family. Well I challenged her for the 29 of May but she said there was no way. We told her at least by June she should be ready and we left her to be thinking at that. I pray that the Lord will bless her to understand these things and come into his church. I just can’t stand to see someone like her who really believes on the church not come in.
We tausched out today – this afternoon because the other brethren scheduled two appointments at the same time. I was with Elder Cline. Ours fell out and after we taught Herr Niewch – (a prayer discussion – can’t get him to pray) – we went to Schopps.
I feel tromped on sometimes. My heart bleeds for these people. Tonight Frau Schopp well the whole family was upset because she had wrecked the car. Somehow the kids had bothered her while driving and she hit the curve or something. Anyway, it broke the front axel and it will take 8 wks to fix. Now they have no way to come to church. I get so into the lives of these people. I love them so much and to see them have to go through so much it just does me pain, but on the other hand they need to develop more faith. I want to help them but I know they need to grow themselves. Lord give me faith.
May 6, 1976
This work will turn out to be the best work of my Mission in many ways – so far. Now of course I will go on farther and farther, upward more and more until they release me. But it has been a great week. Today we taught 2 more great families. Well the first one Herr Elchlinger is single but he is great. A lonely man. Younger middle aged. He comes from Yugoslavia but is in theater, well educated, and speaks several languages. He is really sincere. That’s important. We taught him a great discussion. He said he would read now in the Book of Mormon, and I know he will. He’s golden in many ways. It was a great experience.
Tonight was the night we got to travel to Voslapp to teach the West family. They had Albendbrot all ready to go for us. It was great. Afterwards we gave them C 1-3. It went over real well. They are a little skeptish but he has had some contact with the Church and they are very sincere about it. I’m very excited. Its great to teach such great people as these. It was a great day.
May 7, 1976
What a special day. I am so blessed. Today we visited Frau Fromnn. We had a good talk with her and invited her to our film abend. Looks good.
Tonight we had a very special experience. It was our appointment with Karlish and Pychalla after their long break. When we walked in they had come to the conclusion that they didn’t want to hear any more. I asked them if we could give them a discussion on Christ. They weren’t very excited but I told them that tonight they were going to feel the Spirit and when it came to be ready for it. Well I knew that the Lord would bless us. The Spirit was burning in me as I told them that. Well we had a beautiful discussion and on I-4 it hit us. I asked them what they could feel and they were touched. After a few minutes they fought it off and said they really couldn’t feel the Spirit but I know they did. Now to get them to realize that. Afterwards they were impressed and will be coming to District Conference in Oldenburg. It was a beautiful discussion and experience.
May 8, 1976
Today was a pretty rough day. We went over to Sister Kaisers this morning and her mother came. She is so negative. I couldn’t believe it but we got chewed out left and right. Her mother shows in my opinion almost no love for Sister Kaiser because she won’t let her be on her own and worries more about what people will say about them than whats right for them. My heart was touched for Sister Kaiser because now I realize what she’s been through. Her parents are bad and Sister Kaiser has really been through a lot. Many the Lord bless her.
We had our film abend tonight. Frau Fromm came but that was about it. It was a good evening. I just wish more people would have come.
May 9, 1976
Today was Mothers Day. I had a very special day. I think of my mother and all she means to me and my heart is full. I really am most blessed to have the Mother I have. I owe everything I am to her. She has been the light of my life and I will ever be eternally grateful to her and to the Lord for giving her to me. I look forward to many happy years with her and Richard. They mean so much to me.
It was Sunday. We had a good day. I called the office and found out that both Elder Johnson and Elder Cline are going this week. Elder Johnson after 6 ½ months is going to Hannover and Elder Cline after 7 ½ months is going to Celle, both as Juniors. That will be a big change. Elder Jewell my good buddy from Berlin is coming for Elder Cline and I will be getting a guy from Salt Lake named Ekenstam. It’s looking good.
Tonight after Church we took the flowers we ha left over took them to Busengas and Schopps. We had a good experience with Busengas. We read and then knelt and prayed with them. It was very special. I love both of these families and want very much to reach our goal of a baptism this month by baptizing both of them.
May 10, 1976
ZONE CONFERENCE – Oldenburg
Today was a great Conference. First thing the President explained some things to us about Church Government. Some things that I never knew. Talking about the structure and roles of Bishoprics, Stakes, High Councils, on up to the Quorum of the Twelve and First Presidency. It was a good learning experience for me. I never really knew that a High Council could not meet without a President, (Stake President) etc, etc. Just a few things like that, that were good to know. I learned a lot from his talk. He said for us to start preparing because we might be in a position to come back as a Mission President for Germany in 10 years or for some in Bishoprics in 5-10 years. That’s just the way things are working right now. Its scary to me as I ponder these things. I realize that the Lords leadership and training program are found in his Priesthood Callings in his kingdom. What better way could there be for him to lead us by the hand in training then give us a section of his children to lead and serve for a period of time? Another thing that really impressed me. The prophet will always be the President of the Quorum unless maybe he specifically is inspired to call someone else. I couldn’t figure this out before my Mission but now I understand. This is the Lords way of bringing his servants up through the training ground of the Quorum until they are or could be called as a Prophet. This prevents all politicing. It’s a beautifully inspired system the Lord has. I realize after today better the beauty of this Priesthood organization we are in. It is quite a testimony in and of itself.
The rest of the Conference was great. Sister Schwendiman gave us a little quiz questioner thing. It was a pretty good checklist of the things we all need as Missionaries. Afterwards we played a talk from the last Conference by Boyd K. Packard entitled “Spiritual Crocodiles”. It was great. Elder Kent gave us a class on being witnesses of Christ and Elder Olsen one on the Book of Mormon. Both excellent classes.
The Assistants gave a class from the book Spiritual Rote of Human Relations by Steven Covey. It was really great, talking about the Law of the Harvest. What we plant so shall we reap. Mom sent me the book for my birthday and it is really great to dive in and read these things. It was a good class and really left me stimulated to do some better things.
I had a good long talk with Elder Blackham today. I ate lunch with him and Elder Olsen and Elder Brinton on the Presidents Table. It was great. He and I have such a special bond. I really love him. I will see him once more on the 23rd for District Conference but that will be it. I can’t believe he’s leaving. A friend for life is he to me. He has made some fine accomplishments here for the Lord.
Tonight we had a discussion with the Hanmseas. They are a great family. It will be great working with them and bringing them along. I have learned a lot of things. I can’t wait to teach them. It was a very good day. I love days like this one.
May 11, 1976
We had a beautiful day. It was a good long day but we had to get a lot done and we did. We also taught 2 discussions. We taught Busenga’s and and also West’s tonight. West’s was scary. He wanted to shove the whole thing until August but we managed to get an appointment out of him by next month or in 3 weeks I think it was. He is a great guy but very unbelieving. I want to help them so bad, but I realize how short my time is. We kneeled and prayed with them, he even prayed, but it wasn’t to sincere. We’ll keep working on him. We have some great families right now.
May 12, 1976
Today is Elder Johnson’s last day here in the big city. We have been together 15 weeks. That’s longer than any other companion. The work we have done the last 3 ½ months has really been great. I really have learned to love and appreciate Elder Johnson. I feel good, very good about the relationship we had. It was quite a test for me, I testify to that. He has at times an abrasive personality. I learned a lot from him, and especially in many ways have I grown personality, character and spiritual wise. I have really learned patience. I know the Lord puts companions together to help both out and I know Elder Johnson learned a lot from me and I know he taught me a lot. It was a good relationship. As I look at the work we were doing there at the end I feel that except for maybe missing a goal on time once in a while we were doing everything right. We were teaching, praying with them, calling back, helping, pushing, challenging – doing everything right; and that’s something that is often hard to do. I really feel good about it all.
Today we visited Kaisers and she had a cake ready for us. To say goodbye to the Elders of course. They also went up to Lange for a big dinner. Roast beef and the works. Elder Julander cleaned up. Then I did a little work on the Golden Cards.
John and Kim came over zum Abschiet’s Feuer. We had a good evening together. Kim has really come a long way. Elder Cline talked to her a lot before he left and talked to her about baptism. She hadn’t really thought much about the whole deal but when thinking about Baptism everyone that is honest to themselves realize the importance of baptism. So was the case. She is really starting to think about it. I would love to help her into the Church.
It was kind of hard for these two Elders, Johnson and Cline to say good bye to John and Kim. It was a good but sad evening.